Today in the shower (when I do my best thinking) after a few hours of fun and play in the back yard with Dad, I started thinking back to one year ago on August 22nd, 2008 when we received Luke's referal. I remember that day so clearly in my head. I woke up that Friday morning and just felt weird. I felt weird, but could not pin point much. Was it stress at work? Yes. Was it all that we had been through so far that year? Yes. Was it that I had only the night before offically resigned myself to the fact that our referal would never come? Yes. That day was a busy summer day at work. I was overloaded, overworked, and over stressed. I talked to the girls about my need for a massage as the knots on my shoulders were only growing. I picked out a place not to far from the BBQ that Jason and I had to attend that night. With a few hours to kill and a nice commission check in my pocket...why not? I layed there on that massage table and made a vow not to think or ponder anymore this whole adoption process. I had no control over it anymore and I then gave it over to God.
With a few more hours to kill I ran accross the street to Target to do some shoping. I was just crusing up and and down the ilses purposly avoiding the baby section (as I had for quite some time , 6 years to be excact, mentally picked out everything our baby someday would need or wear). I couldn't do it anymore and it just didnt bother me or excite me, so I did not go down that isle.
I looked up and recoginzed a woman who I had only met once or twice. Her name was Paula and she is a cousin of a cousin of Jasons. Her and her husband adopted a little boy from S. Korea almost one year ago. And when we started the process we met up with them and they had been so kind to offer any support. Since we had only met once, she did not recognize, me. Right then, before I had a chance to re-introduce myself to her, my phone rang. It was an phone number out of state and I almost had a feeling that THIS COULD BE IT! but resigned myself to another wrong number or solictor who got ahold of my cell phone. I was wrong...
On the phone was the director of the waiting child program at Holt International telling me we had been matched with a 6 month old baby boy. I kept repeating everything outloud she said and asked her if she was serious and this was not a joke. She said no and laughed. As I was talking I walked up to Paula who had a weird look on her face and said, "Paula its me Kelly...WE HAVE BEEN MATCHED WITH A BABY BOY!". The director at Holt emailed the information to both Jason (who was still at work) and I. I hung up the phone and called Jason right away. We could not beleive it, however we were skeptical not to get our hopes up too much. I raced over to our friends house (all the while on the phone with Jason who was looking at the email and asking 1 million questions) where the BBQ was and asked if I could use their internet ASAP. I pulled up the email and saw a picture (several) of a beautiful baby boy. As I began to read the email and medical history it hit me...we could be parents...really PARENTS! I went up stairs to their bedroom to change clothes and I cried and cried. After making myself somewhat presentable I went back downstairs and I read and re-read the email showed his picture off to Jaime & Josh (the BBQ couple). I was cautious and made sure that everyone knew that we were not sure yet if we could accept his referal and needed more input from physicians, ect. Jason and I were on could nine that night...deep in our hearts we knew we couldnt say no and that he was ours and to be ours forever.
Looking back to that day I can not remember a day before that where we didnt know Luke. As cliche as it sounds, it was as if we knew him well before that day. God planted a seed in our hearts and while we did not know him personally that day, he was always ours to be.
Below are some of the pictures we recieved that day...

.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment