Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Updates and Photos!

Greetings blog readers (if there are any!). I am getting behind on my postings so I thought I would play a little catch up on what is going on in the world of Luke...
Our little guy on the go is keeping Mommy and Daddy very busy! He goes from sun up to sun down with a few down times in between!

A few weeks ago he started climbing into the dryer! Yes, you heard me right...the clothes dryer! I turned my back on him while doing dishes for one minute and there he is!


We also got our first bandage last week...I realized the moment I put it on that I did not have any cool kids bandages!




He loves climbing into things!


And his new baby cousin... Aunt Shanney came over to watch Luke for an hour while I went to the dentist. It takes Luke a while to warm up to babies of any kind...He just doesnt feel secure enough yet (and that breaks Mommy's heart!). However after a while he was showering Katie with kisses and helping feed her a bottle.


First Steps

A week ago I made a call to First Steps. First Steps is the state program for children with disabilities or special needs. Luke is developmentally on track in all area's with the exception of speech. He has some significant delays in that area. His expressive language (pointing, signing, grunting, etc) is very well, so we don't have a hard time getting what he wants. And his receptive language ("go get the blue block", "are you sleepy?", "do you want a snack?") is pretty darn good! He always answers those questions if he agrees (and I say IF) with a "YA!" and nods his head!


However we lack oral words. I have heard him say every word once (well not every word, but a lot of them). For example we hear an airplane overhead. I say "Airplane! Did you hear the airplane? It flies high in the sky!" Luke says "Airplane!" plane as day and never says it again.


The intake coordinator stated that it sounds like Apraxia, but we would not know for sure until they do the evaluation and even then they do not diagnose children until the age of 3.


However, they are still coming out to do the evaluation on him and if he qualifies we might begin to receive the therapy he needs to communicate orally. When I receive confirmation or a real diagnosis I will go into more detail as to what it is. I can promise you it is common and is something that CAN be overcome with therapy!


Right now we just ask for prayers for our little man...
That God touches his mind and lips so that he can speak soon.
That the evaluation goes well and that he can qualify for the therapy he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment